At Michiru, we adhere to strict guidelines to make our software better for people, not products. That means that we focus on making great software that’s:
- open— The source code to everything we create is made public. We find it pertinent to allow users to be able to compile from source and be able to see how things work. It allows others to not only learn how things work, but also encourage others to craft their own solutions as well.
- private— We’ve never been in the business of data, and we aren’t starting now. We collect as little information as possible to provide the services and software we make, and ensure whatever is collected or used is treated with utmost care and treated as if it were our own personal information.
- built green— Everything we do: from the services and software we make, to the services and software we use to provide or build our services. We do our best to write the most efficient software that consumes the least amount of energy, use renewables where possible, and offsetting where not.
- buy it for life— Services come and go, but software should work forever. Purchasing software from us entitles you to a DRM-free version of that software. Updates should be free. “Upgrades” should be free. (If you want to support us after purchase, spreading the word to friends and family or buying our software as a gift helps leagues.)
- beneficial for people— Software should be something that you enjoy using, not a chore. Every tool we make should be something you not only enjoy using, but also can’t help but feel a little proud for using.
These values and ethics are what allow us to be an organisation that doesn’t worry about profit through malicious actions, but an organisation that worries about delivering a product that attracts people, that fits their needs, and that makes them proud to tell others what they use.